University Undergraduate Study of Medical Laboratory Diagnostics is a study of multidisciplinary nature. Acquired knowledge in the field of natural sciences, humanities and medical sciences facilitate the understanding of human physiological and pathological conditions, development of illnesses and of the impact of an illness on overall functions of the organism. Upon completion of the study, a health worker is trained to perform routine tasks and analytic procedures. Skills, knowledge and attitudes acquired in the course of the study make it possible for the university bachelor of Medical Laboratory Diagnostics quickly and easily to adapt to, and to adopt knowledge required by different laboratories.
The program provides the basis for continuation of education in University Graduate Study of Medical Laboratory Diagnostics and/or in specialist graduate professional studies. The study is completed with a public defence of the graduation thesis. Upon completion of the study, one acquires the academic title of Bachelor (baccaleurea/bacalaureus) of Medical Laboratory Diagnostics.
Basic characteristics of the University Undergraduate Study of Medical Laboratory Diagnostics
- Compliance of the study program and proposed study organisation with the guidelines of the Bologna Declaration; University Undergraduate Study of Medical Laboratory Diagnostics lasts for 3 years, i.e. 6 semesters. Maximum number of credits acquired by the student in a single academic year is 60 ECTS credits. Consequently, it is necessary to acquire 180 ECTS credits in order to complete the studies and meet all prescribed obligations of the undergraduate study program.
- The main objective of this study program is to train professionals for workplaces in medical laboratories in different fields of medical laboratory technologies and diagnostics, both in the private and public health sector.
- According to the structure of the proposed study program, it is obvious that teaching is carried out in the form of lectures, seminars, laboratory exercises and clinical rotations, individual students' work with participation of mentors and other extracurricular and curricular activities.
Requirements for enrolment
Based on the equality principle and vertical and horizontal mobility through the education system, with respect to the instructions of the National Centre for External Evaluation of Education and of the Central Applications Office, the study program enables continuation of education to individuals who:
1. Completed four-year secondary school education and passed the State Graduation Exam in the Republic of Croatia – selection of candidates according to the single list of the Central Applications Office and according to parameters of evaluation of results of the State Graduation Exam issued by the Faculty. Current scoring system for enrolment in this study program is the following:
*The candidate does not have to pass examinations in any of those two subjects. By passing examinations in one or two subjects, additional credits are acquired. The best result will be evaluated with 15%, and second best result with 10%.
2. Completed secondary school without compulsory taking of the State Graduation Exam for applicants who are over 25 years of age – selection of candidates through classification procedure organised by the Faculty, based on the evaluation of overall result in all four secondary school grades, of the final graduation exam taken in secondary school, and on the classification procedure which involves examination in chemistry, biology and physics.
Duration of the study
The proposed study lasts for six (6) semesters, i.e. three (3) academic years (180 ECTS credits)
Title acquired upon completion of the study
UNIVERSITY BACHELOR OF MEDICAL LABORATORY DIAGNOSTICS
Competencies students acquire upon completion of the proposed study
Upon completion of three years, i.e. 6 semesters (180 ECTS credits) of the University Undergraduate Study of Medical Laboratory Diagnostics, a university bachelor possesses acquired knowledge, skills and attitudes necessary to perform all types of laboratory diagnostics, and he/she is competent for:
- Organising the sampling, transport and storage of biologic material (bodily fluids and tissues),
- Organising of tasks within the scope of analyses of biologic material, through guiding and supervising the work of health technicians and medical laboratory engineers – professional bachelors of medical laboratory diagnostics,
- Maintenance and calibrating of specific instruments, while applying the principle of work quality,
- Application of techniques and use of analytical instruments in medical laboratories,
- Independent performance of tests in the field of laboratory medicine and diagnostics with knowledge required for handling simple and complex instruments working on the principle of spectrophotometry, fluorimetry, polarimetry, nephelometry, turbidimetry, densitometry, atomic absorption spectrophotometry, gas chromatography, electrophoresis,
- Proving and determining of substrates, activity of enzymes, hormones, vitamins and drugs,
- Making of hemograms and other cytochemical and hematologic tests, including basic coagulation and transfusion tests,
- Making and dyeing of cytological, histological and pathohistological preparations in all stages,
- Taking of samples, placing them on appropriate growth media and performing preliminary examination of the obtained results in the field of microbiology,
- Performing basic services in molecular biology laboratories used for human material,
- Communicating with individuals of different ethnic, religious and cultural background,
- Fulfilling the requirements of professional code of ethics,
- Using good laboratory practices and improvement of laboratory quality,
- Work in different types of laboratories in medicine and similar scientific branches.
Furthermore, he/she is trained to grasp complex laboratory procedures, to assess and interpret results, gather data, solve problems, apply quality control, apply new analytical technologies pertaining to laboratory medicine and diagnostics.
Possibility of continuation of education
Upon completion of this study program, students are offered an opportunity to continue their education on the educational vertical in the field of Biomedicine and Health (MEFOS student mobility chart).